Modification of Prior Divorce Decree

Modification of prior divorce decrees is required when the financial or marital situation of one or both parties change. You must go to the court in San Antonio to make a change according to the law, and you must hire a family law office to help you. Modification of these documents is often more difficult than creating the original document, and you must not attempt to negotiate a new settlement on your own. This article explains how your lawyer will help you modify your old divorce decree.

#1: Change In Financial Terms

The change in financial terms may be precipitated by a terrible financial situation such as a job loss or bankruptcy. You must report your job situation to the court, and your lawyer will help you renegotiate your new child support or alimony payment. Your lawyer will use the same formula to calculate a new payment, and a judge will be asked to sign off on the new decree.

#2: Marital Changes

Change in marital situation must be recorded when a parent is paying child support or alimony. The payment may cease when the partner receiving the payment gets married, or the number may change if the parent who is making the payments gets married. Ask your lawyer to help make a change that the court will approve for you.

Each part of a divorce decree may be changed at any time with the court’s consent, but you cannot expect your decree to change unless you have hired a family law attorney.


Jean Brown, the founding attorney of Jean Brown Law Firm, is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the Texas State Bar Association, and the San Antonio Family Lawyer’s Association. She is licensed to practice in the Western, Eastern, Northern and Southern Federal Districts of Texas, and is a licensed mediator in family law matters. She is also a member of the Order of the Coif and Phi Delta Phi, attorneys’ honor societies.

Contact Us Now

Please fill out form below

Free Case Evaluation

Phone: (210) 354-2662
Fax: (210) 354-2602
222 E Main Plaza,
San Antonio, TX 78205